Unplugged: What I Learned About Myself After Three Months Without A Cell Phone

Shutterstock

Shutterstock

I never intended to go without a cell phone for three months, but I thank the heavens that it happened. It needed to happen. I wish it had happened sooner, but after many failed attempts on my own, the universe stepped in and got rid of it. Long story short, my brand new iPhone had been destroyed by my inquisitive toddler, and instead of forking over an additional $150 to replace the device, I decided I’d trust the signs given to me and finally experience life without it. At least for a little while.

The horror, right?

“What will you do in an emergency?” I was asked. Thankfully, any of the “emergencies” that did come about found a way to resolve themselves long before I made it to a phone or computer to respond. In hindsight, being unavailable to people made it easy for me to avoid being placed in situations that may have unnecessarily compromised my time.

In the beginning, I would spend a few minutes throughout the day rummaging through my purse for a phone that I no longer had–almost like the idea of a phantom limb. However, after three months, even after I purchased a new phone, I would forget it in the car or the house and wouldn’t realize that I left it until I returned later. For many people, leaving your phone at home for even one day leaves you feeling completely lost and bored. If this is you, you may be just as addicted and attached to your phone as I was, and could benefit from going without it for a little while.

Here are some of the benefits of taking a break from your cell phone.

Intimacy

Without a cell phone to keep you distracted, you’ll have no choice but to be fully involved and present in whatever is taking place around you. You can finally have an uninterrupted conversation over dinner, rather than having your eyes glued to your device as you mindlessly entertain yourself with Instagram and Candy Crush until the food arrives.

Increased Social Interaction

I would not consider myself an extremely “friendly” person, but without my phone I was forced to spark up or entertain friendly conversations with strangers. I’ll admit to using my phone as a way to stave off such interactions, but I realized that it is a good way to buy time while waiting in line. It can also be a wonderful experience to get to know and laugh with someone else. Try it.

Money Saver

I eventually bought a new phone, but one of the first things I did when I got it was reduce my data package. I saved upwards of $160 per month when I didn’t have a phone, and coming back into it, I realized that I didn’t want to waste more of my hard-earned money on a cell phone than I needed to.

I now know of better ways to fill the time, and none of them require an expensive data plan. Reducing your data package or even opting for a plain ol’ phone that only calls and sends text messages could save you hundreds of dollars per year in expenses.

Better Focus

The best part about not having a phone to check social media and email every 10 minutes is my increased ability to get things done. Like most people, I am a procrastinator and having a cell phone that gives me the ability to watch endless hours of YouTube and Vine videos does nothing to help with this problem. Without a cell phone in view 24 hours a day, I am less likely to give into the temptation to slack off.

Realizing You Have More Important Things To Do

You have all this free time now, so what will you do with it? When was the last time you read a book on your way to work instead of scrolling through your phone?

I was so addicted to being distracted by my phone that even when I would bring a book with me to read during breaks at my last job, I’d grab my cell instead—and I never got around to reading that book.
However, when you take a break, you can fill your time with more productive things like reading or even silently reflecting on your goals for the day.

In case you forgot, there was a period in time when we did not have cell phones or other gizmos and gadgets to keep us distracted. People came together and had organic conversations, distraction-free. You’d spend your time doing something physical or working on a task rather than sitting around with the phone glued to your hands. Those people survived, I survived, and you can too. Do yourself a favor and go off-the-grid sometimes.