Let Your Heart Guide You: Ways To Make A Splash In A New Industry

Shutterstock

Shutterstock

I’m a firm believer that all of us have different paths. While we might be good at a particular task or have working knowledge of a certain industry, that doesn’t mean we’re a one-trick pony.

For as long as I can remember, I had no clue what I wanted to do in my adult years. In college I made the decision to study architecture and design that later turned into an art history degree. During those years I worked in the interior design industry designing model homes and helping clients with new construction endeavors. It was a really fun gig that made me feel complete in many ways.

However once the recession hit — and thus the end of the housing boom — I randomly accepted a job at a global financial institution where I worked with clients to help plan for their retirement. This was a bit short-lived (I think I only stayed for a year and a half) as I found more copies of Architectural Digest around my cubicle than The Wall Street Journal. Following my gut, I packed my bags, moved to the New York City area and started an interior decorating business that morphed over the years into a lifestyle website.

As much as I love design, I’m discovering it doesn’t fill me the way it did in the past. There are so many issues and topics outside my industry that tug on my heart strings that could very well lead me to a completely different arena.

Whether life forces your hand through an unexpected circumstance or you make the decision, it’s okay to take the chance. I know lawyers who left their careers to start a catering business. You would think they were nuts for wasting such a prestigious degree–and spending hundreds of thousands on an education–but if it makes them happy, let them be happy.

Have you ever felt like you should pursue another venture outside of what you know?

It’s actually pretty common.

Before you make the leap, it’s important to make the right moves that will help ensure future success. Here are a few tips.

Find out all there is to know. Sure you might think you know about an industry but don’t make a jump based off assumptions. Research everything you can about your new path: its growth rate and requirements (e.g. certifications and degrees). If you know anyone who’s currently operating in the arena, reach out to them to get insider tea.

Look for transferable skills. No matter how far apart you think your new industry is, there’s a good chance you can apply current skills to your future job. Look for any openings that hint at job requirements, and pay attention to noticeable patterns. This will help you tailor your resume to show off any relevant experience and knowledge you already have.

Be willing to start over. I don’t care if you’ve been in your current field for over a decade, if you need to start over in order to pursue a new industry, you have to do it. Don’t rule out things like lateral moves, internships, or even volunteer opportunities that can align you with the right people. Humility and hard work can take you far in life.