Amateur Baltimore Photographer Lands TIME Magazine Cover

Source: TIME

Source: TIME


TIME Magazine
has consistently lived up to their name, choosing cover images and writing articles about the issues that most significantly and memorably affect the days, weeks, months and years in which we live.

The publication just released the image from this week’s cover. And not only is it powerful and profound, it’s authentic to the current #BlackLivesMatter movement in Baltimore and across the nation.

According to the TIME, the image was taken by native West Baltimore resident, 26-year-old Devin Allen. Up until last week, Allen only dreamed of becoming a professional photographer. But when the Baltimore Uprising emerged, he got out there and started documenting for his personal Instagram page. The images captured the attention of Rihanna, the BBC, CNN and thousands more on Instagram and Twitter.

Allen prides himself on documenting the good, the bad and the ugly of the protests. For the cover image, which shows a man running from a pack of police, Allen says, “When I shot that, I thought it was a good picture, so I uploaded [from my camera] to my phone. By the time I’d done that, the police was all around me. I was in the middle of it.”

Allen also explained the significance of being featured on the cover.

For me, who’s from Baltimore city, to be on the cover of TIME Magazine, I don’t even know what to say. I’m speechless,” says Allen. “It’s amazing. It’s life changing for me. It’s inspiring me to go further. It gives me hope and it gives a lot of people around me hope. After my daughter, who’s my pride and joy, this is the best thing that’s happened to me.”

Beautiful.

You can check more of Allen’s work, all of which has been published on Instagram, on the following pages.