Time To Un-Friend? Should Our Facebook Pages Include Professional Contacts?

Facebook

Bloomua / Shutterstock.com

Have you ever asked yourself why you’re “friends” with certain people on Facebook?

During college, it might’ve been a noteworthy achievement for some to have hundreds or thousands of followers, but what about today? Is it smart to let everyone in on your business?

Like most of you, I use social media outlets like Facebook to interact with friends and family. Modern technology sure does make it easier to stay in touch with folks and abreast of life changes. While the bulk of my “friends list” are people near and dear to my heart, I do have professional contacts among my personal Rolodex. Even though I’m pretty good about filtering content I post, there are times when I have to double check as current events have a way of bringing out emotions.

How many have seen status rants about everything from politics to pop culture? Sure you’re entitled to your opinion and are allowed to express yourself, but I can’t help but think about how what we post–justified or not–can affect our business relationships. Given we wouldn’t discuss certain topics around the water cooler, should this also apply to our social media, or do you think it’s necessary to rethink adding professional contacts?

The news is full of stories involving the consequences of poor choices online. Does anyone remember the girl who got fired before her first day on the job because she thought it was a good idea to complain?

Given current events like the protests and riots in Baltimore and the upcoming political season, I can only imagine the things we’re going to see online. This makes me think about topics close to my heart and whether or not I remember to use my filters properly. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not ashamed or afraid to state my opinions, I just think certain discussions are better left for people in your circle.

A friend of mine has no issue taking to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever else she can find to express herself. In many cases, she makes wonderful points but doesn’t always use the most tasteful language. As a result, some of her opinions have landed in the workplace because she has colleagues on her list friends. While I certainly don’t think people need to argue over something that happened in a personal space, when you leave the door open for this to happen, it kinda should not be so shocking that it occurs.

As much as Facebook continues to change, one of the things I can appreciate is the ability to have individuals follow you without friending them. Rather than having to worry about a particular list, you can simply mark your posts as “global” if you want them to be available for Joe Public to see.

Facebook has always been more of a “let your hair down” kind of outlet instead of a professional one for me. I leave most of my career-related contacts to LinkedIn but do understand situations where the two mix. Sometimes you build relationships outside of the professional realm with colleagues that make social sharing a reality. Just be careful how much you share or overshare as it might do harm to the good thing you have going.

Are you friends with your boss or co-workers online? If so, does that sway what you post?