Q&A: CeCe Peniston Returns With A New Look, New Music, & New Business Ventures

Photo via Cecepeniston.com

Photo via Cecepeniston.com

Remember the hits “We Got A Love Thang,” “Finally,”  “Keep On Walkin'”? In the 1990s and early 2000s CeCe Peniston was wowing audiences internationally. Then it seemed Peniston, who was born in September 1969 in Dayton, Ohio, stepped away from the limelight.

Thing is Peniston never really went away. But at one point she decided to reinvent herself. Not just her musical career, but herself. She wanted to get into top shape for wellness reasons, and she wanted to prove that no matter what ,anyone can start over.

Based in Phoenix where she spent for formative years, Peniston started out like many great singers — in the church. From early on she couldn’t get enough of performing; she did plays, musicals, and talent shows while learning to play the piano. Then in 1987 when Peniston, still a high school student, was chosen for a part in a local production of the Broadway musical Bubbling Brown Sugar. But though entertainment was calling, Peniston went on to earn her diploma and continue on to the University of Phoenix to study Liberal Arts.

By 1989, Peniston was crowned Miss Black Arizona and reigned as Miss Galaxy in 1990.

In 1991, a friend and record producer Felipe “DJ Wax Dawg” Delgado asked her to record back-up vocals for a female rapper slated to release an album on A&M Records. Soon after, Peniston landed her own solo project commissioned by then A&M Records music executive Manny Lehman. And when the song “Finally” was released, there was no turning back.

During the next decade, Peniston became one of the most successful dance club artists in the history of the U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play Charts. She scored five major number one hits within three years. Her signature dance hit “Finally” was #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart and #2 on the UK Top 75. It was actually one of the biggest dance records in history, selling over three million copies worldwide.

By the end of 1992, Peniston received several awards and performed around the world.

Then Peniston began to reach back and did community work. In June 2008, Peniston released “Above Horizons,” a national PTA anthem as a tribute to the families, teachers and communities who help children reach their dreams through the Parent Teacher Association. This resulted from her role as National Ambassador of the US largest volunteer child advocacy organization.

Now the singer, writer and performer is ready for the next stage in her career–and her life.

She’s changed her lifestyle and committed herself to fitness and wellness. She has even done a fitness DVD called “The Fitness Journey”  to inspire others on this path.

She has new music coming out, collaborating with the likes of Anthony Hamilton and singer/songwriter Calvin Richardson. She also worked with the late great house music producer Frankie Knuckles before he died.

The first single off of her new album is entitled “Nothing Can Stop Me Now.”

She is debuting a new line of bathing suits and accessories.

And in the process she has tapped into social media to advance all of her projects. You can find here everywhere–YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook, with a fan base that has reached well over 100,000 people.

MadameNoire: Lately, you’ve been venturing into other business areas besides entertainment. Why?
CeCe Peniston: I’m excited to step out of my comfort zone, for me it’s sort of a challenge to figure some things out. With my new ventures, I basically just decided I want to do it and I just did it. Of course, I did research and planned.

With fitness, I decided that I wanted to get into shape and my passion for fitness and a desire to help other people do the same made me decide to do a fitness video. People always tell me they want to work out to my songs, so what not make a fitness DVD. I am in the best shape of my life. I didn’t just do the DVD because I am a celebrity, but also I did the hard work.

I look to release the DVD in six months. I am working on getting a distributor now and clearing the music licenses.

MN: You look great. You really did get into fitness.
CP: So much so that I decided to compete in a fitness competition. And I put this out there on social media in order to hold myself accountable. I trained hard with my trainer and when the day came, I was so nervous. I must have called my trainer from the competition 10 times. It took me six months to train for the competition. It was hard and took longer than it should because I had to train between gigs.

But in the end, I am so glad I accomplished this. I would love to do more competitions going forward.

MN: You are also venturing into swimsuits.
CP: My girlfriend suggested a bathing suit line and we are creating it together. We are calling the line Sew Unique Bathing Suits. My girlfriend and I are designing, and there will be some unique pieces. For example, you might find jewelry on some of the suits.

Some of the line will just be for show–you DO NOT swim in them.  I always wanted a mink bathing suit, so we have created one. Suits like this will just be for lounging.

We will be debuting the suits in June at a show in Arizona.

MN: Then there is your new music.
CP: Yeah! I am really excited. The album, which is still untitled, is going to be a mixture of styles, from dance to R&B to House. People say why don’t you focus on one. I say, “Why should I be in a damned box, if I like to do different things.”

I will have a new single in a few weeks; we are test marketing it now. We test every single by getting feedback from radio programmers.

Also it’s the 25th anniversary of  “Finally,” so we are planning something special. Girl, I still have the whole outfit from that video and it fits so I might wear it in a new video to celebrate the anniversary.

I also just signed on as the face of She The Queen of Beer and no part owner of She Beer. It’s beer especially for women.

 

MN: Isn’t this a lot to promote?
CP: I am making use of social media as a marketing tool. It’s a great way to market yourself and your projects. It’s a free marketing tool.

I am also thinking about how to do cross promotions, maybe a swimsuit show using my new music and offering She Beer.

MN: All in all, what can fans expect from the “new” CeCe Peniston?
CP: I think people expect you to change… to keep in shape, to keep up in fashion.  I’m keeping it young but not being immature and not trying to be competitive with the kids. Also I don’t have music that sounds dated.

The key is knowing what works for you, constantly reinventing yourself. Music is changing, fashions are changing.  Keep on top of your game.

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN