Paula Patton Shares Why Leaving Robin Thicke Was Such A Big Deal For Her



WENN

WENN



While some hollered that they saw it coming from a mile away, personally, I was a little shocked when Paula Patton announced her separation from Robin Thicke last year. Sure, it was obvious that they were having problems, but for some reason, I just assumed they would work it out. Now that they’re mere weeks away from finalizing their divorce, Paula is opening up more and more about her decision to leave and what life has been like since the two have separated.


For one, the Baggage Claim actress says that the experience has been life changing because she’s never really been on her own before. She met Robin when she was just 14 years old and when she decided to move out of her parents’ home years later, she moved in with her childhood sweetheart.


“I moved from my parent’s house to moving in with Robin and now I’m becoming an adult,” she explained in an interview with Meredith Vieira. “I feel like a real woman now.”



As liberating as stepping out on her own may be, Paula says that it also comes with its challenges–like being a single mother.


“I took a lot of time off to be with him and then I had to pack for a trip because I had to go to work and he said, ‘Mommy I don’t want you to go to work,'” she shared. “It’s the challenge of being a working mother and it’s the first time he ever said that to me, because I did work when he was a baby, but now he is more aware of everything, so what are you going to do? It’s sort of the trials and tribulations of being a woman. Right?”


Overall, Paula says she’s doing well.


“You know I’m doing really well. It’s been a long year and a lot of challenges but I’ve grown quite a bit and just getting used to change,” she said.


As previously reported, Paula and Robin have already reached a divorce settlement. Their split will be finalized next month.


Follow Jazmine on Twitter @JazmineDenise